TOPEKA, KAN. – Shawnee County Parks + Recreation has scheduled three fall naturalist hikes. The fee for each hike is $3. Pre-registration is required at https://bit.ly/fallnaturalisthikes.
- Sept. 18 - Arboretum Walk at Lake Shawnee: This hike is all about tees and how they prepare for winter. Learn how to identify different types of trees and see the fall colors. Program meets in Yacht Club parking lot at SW 37th and West Edge.
- Sept. 22 – Fall migration is underway! Birds are on the move as fall arrives and are moving south for the winter. This walk focuses on birds and bird migrations so bring your binoculars and a guide book. Meet at McDonald Field in Big Shunga Park.
- Nov. 15 – Night Hike in Skyline Park: The last naturalist program of the year is a one of a kind hike at Skyline Park! Learn about owls, bats and other nocturnal creatures and see the Topeka skyline from Burnett’s Mound. Park gate opens at 6 p.m.
Hikes are from 6:30-8 p.m.
- Proper footwear and water bottles are required.
- Participants may bring binoculars and guide books.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Registration information is on the back.
- In case of bad weather, outdoor programs will be rescheduled to the following week.